• Mon - Fri: 9AM - 6PM
  • 2 Venture Drive, 07-29, Vision Exchange, Singapore 608526
  • +65 6978 1000

Epica Guide Series

Guide to Singapore Dependant Pass (DP)

If you are an Employment pass holder in Singapore, then obviously you would like to bring your family with yourself. The Dependant Pass (DP) allows you to bring a family member (mostly your immediate family) to Singapore. A DP holder can live in Singapore and with certain approvals can study or work in Singapore as well. This article is aimed to be a detailed guide that would cover all aspects related to the Dependant Pass (DP), from its acquisition to its benefits renewal and actions associated with it.

What is a Dependant pass (DP)?

A Singapore Dependant Pass (DP) is a relocation visa that is issued to the selected family members of the Singapore Work Pass holders, including Employment pass (EP), EntrePass, S Pass and Personalized Employment Pass Holders.

There is a minimum salary requirement for the main pass holder to be able to qualify for dependant pass (DP) for his family members.

If you are a well-settled executive in your work line, and if you are relocating to Singapore then it is obvious that you would want your family (spouse, kids) to relocate with you. This is what exactly the dependant pass provides.

Bringing in dependants in Singapore on a dependant pass is not allowed to worker work pass or a domestic maid work pass holder.

What are the key features of the Dependant Pass (DP)?

Singapore Dependant Pass
  1. Dependant Pass (DP) holder is not required to apply for a separate Singapore Entry Visas and can live, enter and leave Singapore as and when needed.
  2. A Dependant Pass (DP) pass remains valid for as long as the main work pass on which the dependant pass is based.
  3. A Dependant Pass (DP) can only be applied by the main work pass holder’s employer or an authorized employment agent like a corporate services provider.
  4. Dependant Pass (DP) allows its holder to work in Singapore, provided the holder gets a LOC from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Singapore.
  5. A Dependant Pass (DP) can be renewed up to six months in advance, alongwith the main employment pass.

Who can apply for a Dependant Pass (DP)?

Following a family member of the Work pass holder including Employment Pass (EP), EntrePass, S Pass and Personalized Employment Pass Holders can apply for Dependant Pass (DP):

  1. Spouse – Legally Married (Needs marriage certificate for application)
  2. Children – Unmarried and under the age of 21 years (Needs birth certificate showing both parent’s name)
  3. Legally adopted children under the age of 21 years (Needs adoption certificate showing the details of parent / guardian)

Note: A common-law spouse (Live in relationship) of a Singapore work pass holder is not eligible to get a Dependant Pass (DP). However, they are eligible to get a Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP), subject to certain terms and conditions.

Singapore Dependant Pass

Children Born in Singapore

In case a baby is born in Singapore, the hospital gives a live birth notification and also an advisory note from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (IMA). These documents are then used to register the birth certificate. It also acts as a special pass that allows the newborn baby a stay of six weeks in Singapore. During this time, the passport of the baby should be acquired from the embassy or high commission. Normally the child will get the citizenship of the country to which the parents belong. There is no concept of citizenship by birth in Singapore. To get Singapore citizenship at least one of the parents must be a Singapore citizen.

What are the eligibility requirements Dependant pass (DP)?

If you are a work pass holder working for an employer

You must be earning at least S$6,000 per month, to be eligible to bring your spouse and children to Singapore on a Dependant Pass (DP).

If you are an entrepass holder

As an EntrePass holder, you can only bring your family in if you meet the requirements for total annual business spending and local employment:

To bring your

Your total annual business spending must be at least

You must employ at least

  • Spouse (common-law or legally married)
  • Children

3 Local Employees


1 Employee in Professional Cadre

  • Parents

6 Local Employees


2 Employee in Professional Cadre

As such Dependant pass is not available for EntrePass holders, for the first year of stay in Singapore.

If you are on personal employment pass

The PEP requirements already cover all the requirements for Dependant pass. So there are no additional requirements to be satisfied for Dependant pass (DP) application.

What are the documents required for the Dependant pass (DP) application?

To get the Dependant Pass (DP), Your employment agent or company sponsor will be required to submit required documents along with the application for Singapore Dependant Pass (DP). These include:

Singapore Dependant Pass
  • Dependant Pass (DP) application duly completed in the name of dependent
  • Copy of personal particular’s page of the dependent and work pass holder’s passport
  • Copy of the following documents as applicable as proof of relation:
    • Official marriage certificate
    • Birth certificate
    • Adoption certificate
  • Details of the education / educational certificates, if any.
  • Enrolment details in a school / educational institution in Singapore, if any.
  • Details of the salary of the most recent employment held in Singapore, if any.


  • The application form of children under the age of 16 years is signed by the parents of their behalf.
  • Certificates and documents that are not in English must be translated by a certified translator and submitted along with the original certified copy.

What is the procedure involved in the Dependant Pass (DP) Application?

Application Submission

The employer or the licensed application agent carries out the following actions:

  • Completes and deposits the application through Employment Pass (EP) Online system
  • Gathers and uploads the supporting documents that are required with the application, and
  • Deposits the application fee S$70 to MOM
  • While the official time limit for dependant pass is 3 weeks, usually the update about the status of the Dependant Pass (DP) application can be checked in 1 week.

Approval of Application

  • MOM will mail the in-principal approval (IPA) letter to your sponsor once the Dependant Pass (DP) is approved. If you are using EPOL (Employment pass online System) then you can download the IPA online.
  • A copy of IPA having a pre-approved single-entry visa for your dependent to enter the country. This visa needs to be exercised at the time of entry into Singapore. Do not use your previous visa, or visa-free entry status. If you do not use this visa for entry, then the issue of dependant pass gets complicated.
  • The letter gives you the information that your dependent’s application has been approved for the Dependant Pass (DP). And the dependent is now officially allowed to come to Singapore to collect it in person. A dependent of EP, PEP, or EntrePass holder has six months to issue the Dependant Pass (DP), while dependent of S Pass holder has two months.
  • You will be required to make all the arrangements for the dependent on coming to Singapore to get their Dependant Pass (DP).

Steps involved for the issue Dependant pass (DP)

Actions to be taken by the Employer / Employment Agent

After receiving the IPA about approval of the Dependant Pass (DP), you will travel to Singapore. Once you arrive here, the employer or employment agent of the Work pass holder is required to do the following:

Singapore Dependant Pass
  • Login into the EPOL and upload the following information & documents as applicable:
    • Dependant’s Passport details
    • Dependant’s current Short-Term Visit Pass or immigration pass details (Disembarkation card)
    • Dependant’s residential address in Singapore
    • The local postal address where Dependant Pass (DP) card is to be delivered
    • Authorized recipient’s contact details who can receive SMS or email alert with all delivery details
  • Pay S$150 as a mandatory issuance fee prescribed by the Ministry of Manpower.
  • Certain cases may require to provide the following additional documents:
    • A health declaration form or a completed medical examination form
    • A duly filled declaration form which is required to be attached with the candidate’s in-principle approval letter
  • Once these details are submitted, the Dependant Pass (DP) is issued immediately. Along with it, a notification is received by the applicant. Employer / Employment agent prints the notification letter and give it to the dependent. The notification letter is valid for one month and allows the candidate to travel inside and out of Singapore.

Action to be taken by the Dependant

An appointment will be fixed for the dependant pass holder to visit Pass processing department, to process the Dependant Pass (DP) card. On the time and date decided for the appointment, dependent is required to bring the following:

Singapore Dependant Pass
  • Notification letter
  • Passport
  • Disembarkation Card / Arrival Card (given to you upon arrival at the airport)
  • Medical report (when required)
  • Any other documents that have been listed in the IPA and notification letter.

At the employment pass processing department, your photo will be taken and thumbprinting process will be done.

After the above requirements are fulfilled, the Ministry of Manpower will need at least four working days to process the information and deliver the Dependant Pass (DP) card to the address that has been designated for delivery.

Medical test

Singapore Dependant Pass

Normally, medical examination is not a mandatory part of the process for obtaining the Dependant Pass (DP). However, in some cases, authorities may ask an applicant to undergo a medical test. The Dependant Pass (DP) approval letter will indicate if there is a need to undergo a medical examination or not.

Generally, the medical test includes a physical examination, certain blood tests, and HIV test. The medical examination can be done in Singapore or the dependent’s home country. In later cases, the dependent is required to choose a reputable hospital and bring the report along. It must be noted that the medical report must be in English.

How do authorities decide the approval of Dependant Pass (DP) / Factors impacting a successful application?

Singapore Dependant Pass

Generally once an employment pass / or PEP is approved, there is no issue about the dependant pass (DP) application. So long as the main work pass holder satisfy the minimum income condition, the dependent pass (DP) will be approved.

The only time, a dependant pass (DP) may be rejected is if the required documents like the birth certificate of children, or marriage certificate are not available. Or the person applying for dependant pass has some criminal convictions in his / her current country of residence.

How to appeal if the Dependant Pass (DP) application is rejected?

Singapore Dependant Pass

As mentioned above, dependant passes are rarely rejected. The only two reasons that come to mind are 1) not fulfilling the minimum salary requirement or 2) not having proper documents for the marriage certificate of birth certificate.

In case the required documents are not available then you will need to obtain it from your home country. Some of the documents can be obtained from your Country’s high commission (Embassy) in Singapore by way of an affidavit.

The whole process of appeal and review can take up to three to six weeks after submission of an appeal.

How to get the Dependant pass (DP) renewed?

The renewal of the Dependant Pass (DP) is a straightforward process.
  • Dependant Pass (DP) remains valid as long as the work pass on which it depends. So usually the renewal application for dependant pass is lodged alongwith the main employment pass.
  • The request for renewal of the Dependant Pass (DP) can only be made by the main work pass holder’s employer or licensed employment agent.
  • The renewal request of Dependant Pass (DP) of an EP, PEP, and S Pass holder must be submitted through Employment Pass (EP) online while the renewal requests for an EntrePass dependent must be submitted through the mail.
  • The renewal request can be submitted up to six months before the expiration of the main work pass.
  • Once Dependant Pass (DP) renewal is approved, you will receive an in-principle letter of approval. Dependant must then go through the same procedure to issue the renewed Dependant Pass (DP), and if necessary, dependent may have to register the fingerprints and get photographed before receiving the renewed Dependant Pass (DP). However in our experience, for renewal, the visit to pass processing department is not required as the photo and thumbprint details are already available in their system.
  • After receiving the new Dependant Pass (DP), the old card must be returned to MOM on the following address: Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Haverlock Havelock Road, Singapore 059764.

What is the difference between Dependant pass (DP) and Long time visit pass (LTVP)?

Below table summarises the key differences between a dependant pass and a long term visit pass (LTVP).

Characteristics Dependant Pass (DP) Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP)
Issuing Authority Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA)
Eligible Family Members
  • Spouse – Legally Married
  • Children – Unmarried and under the age of 21 years
  • Legally adopted children
  • Spouse by common law
  • Handicapped Unmarried children above 21 years
  • Stepchildren – Unmarried and under 21 years
  • Parents – Only if the work pass holder earns at least S$12,000 per month
  • Mother / Grandmother of a child studying in Singapore

Can you work / study while on Dependant Pass (DP)?

Singapore Dependant Pass

Working while on Dependant Pass (DP)

Dependents of an EP, EntrePass, and PEP holder are allowed to work in Singapore, provided they get a letter of consent from MOM. The company offering the job is required to apply for LOC from MOM by completing LOC application form. Normally the LOC applications are processed within a week. It must be noted that the LOC expires with Dependant Pass and needs to be renewed after expiration.

Singapore Dependant Pass

Studying while on Dependant Pass (DP)

  • Children in possession of Dependant Pass (DP) have access to the primary and secondary education in Singapore. They do not need a separate approval for this education.
  • Students with Dependant Pass (DP) can opt for both private and public schools. However, admission to the Singapore public schools is not guaranteed.
  • A Dependant Pass (DP) holder who wants to attend a Singapore University is required to get a Student Pass.

What is the processing time and validity of Dependant Pass (DP)?

Singapore Dependant Pass
  • The Dependant Pass (DP) applications filed online are normally processed within three weeks.
  • The Dependant Pass (DP) application that has been deposited manually takes up to eight weeks for processing.
  • Validity of depedant pass is tied to the validity of the main employment pass.

Is Dependant pass (DP) difficult to get?

As mentioned above, Dependant pass (DP) is not difficult to get so long as you satisfy all the requirements and has all the required documents to prove the relationship with the main employment pass holder.

Eligibility for PR as a Dependant pass (DP)-holder

A Dependant Pass (DP) holder can obtain a permanent residency in Singapore through the main work pas holder. If the main work pass holder is applying for permanent residency, he/she can apply for the permanent residency of her dependents as well. But needless to say, it is a long and challenging process and can take up to 12 months. However, the benefits that you get with Singapore Permanent Residence are worth giving it a try.

Singapore Dependant Pass

Benefits of Singapore Permanent Residence (SPR)

The benefits of SPR include:

  • You are not required to hold a Dependant Pass (DP) anymore.
  • You will not require a letter of consent (LOC) for working in Singapore.
  • Students with SPR have guaranteed admission to Singapore Public Schools, and there would be no requirement for student pass for admission in universities.
  • You get more employment options and more flexibility.
  • In case you want to start your own business, you are free to do so.

Why engage a professional Consultant to get the Dependant Pass (DP)?

Singapore Dependant Pass

With Singapore surfacing at the international podium as one of the most lucrative cities for foreigner’s businesses and employment, Government has placed several restrictions on the number and quality of the foreign professionals to protect the interests of the native Singaporeans at the PMET (Professionals, Managers, Executives, and Technicians) level. In doing so, the Singapore Government also wants to increase the quality of incoming foreign workers so as to create a more productive workforce. As a result of this, securing an Employment pass and related passes has become much more complex and more difficult.

Aforesaid in view, you need the help of professionals to walk you through the intricacies of getting Dependant Pass (DP). Also, many visas like Dependant Pass (DP) require several actions to be taken by main pass holder’s employer or a licensed consultant on the applicant’s behalf. But the sponsor company or employer may be new and may not have the experience to navigate through the whole system. Therefore, it is always better to hire professional consultants who specialize in immigration to Singapore along with allied requirements like Dependant Pass (DP) and other work permits.


When should you apply for Dependant Pass (DP) of your family?

You can apply for the Dependant Pass (DP) at the same time when you are applying for your main work / employment or right after its approval. However, the following must be considered in this regard:

  • If you apply for Dependant Pass (DP) along with the main employment pass, the approach is faster and may fetch you Dependant Pass (DP) along with your work pass. However, if your work pass application is rejected or is not successful due to some reason, then the defendant passes are also rejected, and you end up paying off much more unnecessary by applying for the Dependant Pass (DP).
  • The most appropriate time, therefore, is to apply for Dependant Pass (DP) right after your work pass application is approved. This may mean that your family may have to wait for a little more time, but this won't incur unnecessary expenses.

Generally, for the established companies, who already have few employees on an employment pass, the dependant pass can be applied along with the main EP. However, if your company is new and if it is applying for its first employment pass then it is recommended to do a two-step process as explained above.

Who all can apply for Dependant Pass (DP)?

  • If you are a work pass holder and earning at least S$6,000 per month, you is eligible to bring certain members to Singapore as Dependant Pass (DP) holders.
  • Following family member are covered under a dependant pass:
    • Spouse – Legally Married
    • Children – Unmarried and under the age of 21 years
    • Legally adopted children
  • Dependant Pass holder can work in Singapore as long as he/she receives the letter of consent from MOM.
  • Following family members of the work pass holder are covered under long term visa pass:
    • Spouse by common law
    • Handicapped Unmarried children above 21 years
    • Stepchildren – Unmarried and under 21 years
    • Parents – Only if the work pass holder earns at least S$12,000 per month
    • Mother or grandmother of an S Pass holder

Are Dependant Pass (DP) holder Children allowed to attend local public schools in Singapore?

Yes. Dependant Pass (DP) holder children can enroll in both public and private institutions of Singapore. However, admission is dependent upon the availability of vacancies. Singapore schools give admissions as per the following priority list. Dependant Pass (DP) holders are given the last priority.

  • Singapore Citizens
  • Permanent Residents and lastly
  • Dependant Pass (DP) holders

How do I apply for Dependant Pass (DP) card replacement? Is it free?

Replacement card applications can be submitted via the EP online on the MOM website. An applicant will have to pay S$60 fee for a damaged card and S$100 fee for a first lost card or S$300 for any lost cards after that. These fees are non-refundable.

Can a Dependant Pass (DP) holder work in Singapore?

Yes. However, the following things must be kept in mind in this regard:

  • If you have Dependant Pass (DP) and have secured a job in Singapore, your prospective employer is required to get permission from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in the form of a letter of consent (LOC).
  • There is no requirement of minimum salary; however, approval is subject to the discretion of authorities.
  • The processing of LOC can take up to three weeks.
  • The employer must renew your LOC when Dependant Pass (DP) is being renewed. MOM sends the LOC renewal form to your employer at least three months before the Dependant Pass (DP) is due to expire. The completed form should be submitted with MOM at least four weeks before the LOC expires.
  • If you are working in Singapore as Dependant Pass (DP) holder, you are liable to pay taxes as per the personal tax rates in Singapore.
  • LOC is automatically canceled in case the Dependant Pass (DP) is canceled or needs to be specifically cancelled, when you are no longer employed in the company.
  • In case of termination from the job of a Dependant Pass (DP) holder, the employer is required to notify MOM that the individual is no longer working with the company. This has no bearing on your Dependant Pass (DP).
  • You can also apply for Employment Pass being on Dependant Pass (DP). If approved, you Dependant Pass (DP) will be converted into EP; otherwise, you can continue as Dependant Pass (DP) holder.

What is the validity period of a Dependant Pass (DP)?

The Dependant Pass (DP) remains valid as long as the main sponsoring work pass remains valid.

Can a dependent pass holder start a business in Singapore?

Yes, that is possible. A Dependant Pass (DP) holder will have to act as a director of the company. In order to do that, a Dependant Pass (DP) holder must apply for an Employment Pass (EP) after incorporation of the company. Once the EP is issued, the person can act as the company director, and at that time the Dependant Pass (DP) is canceled.

If a Dependant Pass is lost, damaged, or stolen, how can one obtain a replacement card?

  • You should notify an appointed employment agent or your employer (the company), and they will have to apply for a new card. This must be done within a week of the loss.
  • If your Dependant Pass (DP) card was stolen, you must provide a police report along with the replacement card application. Please note that the report must be in English.
  • If you lost your card overseas, you need to contact the main work pass holder’s employer immediately so they can inform MOM. You will then be issued a letter that will enable you to return from overseas and enter Singapore.
Message us